WrapShield IT Integrated Tape is a mechanically attached high performance Water Resistive Barrier (WRB) and Air Barrier (AB) material designed for above grade use in drainage cavity walls. WrapShield IT Integrated Tape is recommended for applications requiring a high level of vapor permeability while limiting air leakage and infiltration through the building enclosure. WrapShield IT Integrated Tape provides outstanding liquid water holdout capabilities as a Water Resistive Barrier (WRB) and with the Integrated Tape joints integrated at the horizontal overlaps, a high performance air barrier is easier to install than ever before!
Best Practices Overview
- WrapShield IT Integrated Tape is installed with approved fasteners in a Horizontal, Shingle Fashion.
- Building layout should be planned prior to installation to minimize waste and ensure all interfaces and penetrations are identified and detailed correctly to protect against water and air infiltration.
- Horizontal overlaps must be at 6” in order to properly seal the Integral Tape joint. Vertical overlaps are to be 12” minimum and require VaproBond adhesive sealant, to provide an Air Barrier Seal. Vertical overlaps are to be staggered a minimum of 24” and should not occur directly above or below windows or doors.
- Inside and outside corners can be continuous, or if a vertical joint occurs within 24” horizontally, an overlap of 12” minimum in both directions is required, providing a double layer at the corner.
- Cladding attachment components are to be counted in the overall attachment requirements.
- WrapShield IT Integrated Tape must be correctly shingled with all openings, penetrations and flashings to deflect liquid water to the main drainage plain and ultimately to the exterior of the building.
- Always install WrapShield IT Integrated Tape in a “weatherboard or shingle fashion” with the upper courses lapped on top of the courses below, using the dotted line provided at 6” down from the top edge.
- Immediately roll the integrated tape horizontal seams with floor roller to ensure full contact to prevent moisture and air infiltration.
- Sustains six (6) months (180) days UV and climate exposure prior to cladding installation.
- Water Resistive, Vapor Permeable, Air Barrier Membrane
VAPROSHIELD REQUIRES A DRAINAGE CAVITY SYSTEM TO BE INCORPRATED INTO ALL WRAPSHIELD IT INTEGRATED TAPE WRB/AB INSTALLATIONS.
- WrapShield IT Integrated Tape can be installed over multiple substrates including: Plywood, OSB, Framing Lumber, Gypsum Sheathing, Rigid Insulation, and Semi-Rigid Insulation (Mineral Fiber).
- WrapShield IT Integrated Tape can be installed over wet substrates to limit further water intrusion and to allow the substrate to dry during the construction period, provided the following procedures are implemented:
- The roof of the structure must be completely dried in by either temporary measures or permanent installation, in order to prevent water intrusion throughout the remainder of construction.
- Window and door rough openings should be protected against water intrusion by temporary or permanent measures throughout the remainder of construction.
- Proper means and methods of drying the entire structure sufficiently prior to closing up the building enclosure is the responsibility of the General Contractor.
VaproCaps are washers that have been extensively tested for both water and air leakage and substitutions are not recommended. Use #6, #7, or #8 size corrosion protected bugle headed screws
- WrapShield IT Integrated Tape is mechanically fastened to the substrate. Stainless steel staples or cap nails may be used as temporary fasteners during installation but only at locations that will be covered by the shingling of the next layer of material. See the following sequential Installation steps.
- DO NOT place fasteners in the Integral Tape overlap area prior to removal of the release film and sealing of the Integral Tape seam. Fasteners placed in the tape area can tear the release film during removal, resulting in a poor seal. Fasteners should be placed in the overlap area only after the Integral Tape release film has been removed and the horizontal joint is sealed.
- Exposed fasteners for the WrapShield IT Integrated Tape WRB/AB will require VaproCaps and #6, #7, or #8 size corrosion protected bugle headed screws of the appropriate thread design and length for the underlying substrate and framing material.
- VaproCaps are washers that have been extensively tested for both water and air leakage and substitutions are not recommended.
- Cladding attachments that penetrate the WRB/AB should be factored into the overall fastening quantity and placement.
- The quantity and placement of fasteners will vary depending on the following variables:
- Length of time that the installed WrapShield IT Integrated Tape WRB/AB will be exposed prior to installation of cladding attachments such as: furring strips, battens, hat channels, masonry ties, metal extrusions, etc.
- Spacing between the cladding attachments (i.e. 16”, 24”, 32” o.c., etc.)
- Type and material chosen for exterior cladding
- Local weather conditions
- Plywood and OSB sheathing applications: Use coarse threaded bugle head design wood screws in the above mentioned sizes, installed with VaproCaps in the sheathing only, without contacting the underlying framing members.
- Gypsum Sheathing and Metal Framing: Use self-drilling fine threaded screws in the above mentioned sizes and shape with VaproCaps installed into the underlying metal framing or strapping.
- Fasteners for VaproBattens, furring strips, cladding clips, hat channels, etc. should be evaluated for liquid water holdout properties before selection or installation. Gasketed fasteners are recommended whenever possible. Contact VaproShield Technical Department for further clarification.
Open Joint Systems
Best Practice Installation Sequence for WrapShield RS Rain Screen
|1. Begin installation at the base of the wall, progressing in a shingle fashion upwards
|2. Install with SS staples in the top 2" above the Integral Tape. Avoid stapling in the tape area.||3. Line up the bottom of the upper course of material with the dotted line, creating a 6" overlap.|
|4. Overlap vertical seams by 12" minimum. Apply VaproBond adhesive sealant bead just below Integrated Tape line at the vertical seam joint.||5. Apply VaproBond adhesive sealant in a single bead down the membrane to the bottom of the sheet.|
|6. Lay overlapping layer of WrapShield IT onto vertical sealant joint and smooth with hand pressure||7. Join horizontal seams by peeling back both release films, starting from where horizontal joint meets vertical joint.|
|8. Line up both release films together so they can be pulled down the wall with one hand.||9. Use the opposite hand to smooth the two layers together as the release film is removed.|
|10. Smooth out wrinkles with hand pressure.||11. Immediately roll the integrated tape horizontal seams with floor roller to ensure full contact.|