SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered is a fully adhered water resistive air barrier roof underlayment designed to be a secondary barrier providing liquid water holdout and air barrier continuity for the roof structure.
Roofing Systems Compatiblity
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane can be installed under a variety of roofing systems including:
- Metal Roofing
- Slate on batten/counter batten substructure
- Clay Tile on batten/counter batten substructure
- Cedar Shingles/Shakes (with VaproMat™ drainage matrix)
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered can be installed under a batten/counter batten system.
Install cedar shingles/shakes over VaproMat™ Drainage Matrix and SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered.
Roof Deck Substrates Compatiblity
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane can be installed over a variety of roof deck substrates including:
- Steel or Aluminum (painted or mill finish)
- Most Rigid Insulation
- Sloped Concrete
- Protection Board for Roofing (popular brand names: DensDeck®, ISOGARD™, Protectoboard™)
- Do not install SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane when ambient temperatures are below 20°F (-6°C)
- Verify that surfaces and conditions are ready to accept the work of this section. Notify [engineer] [architect] [consultant] in writing of any discrepancies.
- All surfaces must be clean and dry to the touch and in “as new condition;” sound, clean and free of oil, grease, dirt, or other contaminants.
- Roof deck must be continuous and uniform.
- Mechanical fasteners used to secure sheathing boards, insulation or penetrate roof deck shall be set flush with surface and fastened into solid backing.
Delivery, Packaging And Storage
- Deliver SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane and accessory products to the job site in original undamaged packaging.
- Store roll materials vertically on end in original packaging at temperatures between 40°F and 120°F (4ºC - 49ºC).
- Protect materials from direct sunlight and inclement weather until ready for use.
- Primer is NOT required or recommended
- Plan the installation and layout of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered PRIOR to application to minimize waste
- Prior to installation allow material to adjust to the ambient temperature
- Ensure fasteners are flush with surface and fastened into solid backing
- Install eave protection using VaproFlashing™ SA Self-Adhered
- Pre-cut SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane to desired manageable lengths. At bottom of roof allow for excess material to accommodate adjacent surface tie-ins at fascia and soffit connections to WRB/Air Barrier (reference details per architect or roof consultant)
- Snap chalk lines for alignment guidance
- Align and place exposed membrane into position use hand pressure to adhere membrane to substrate
- Roll out material with release film intact, check for proper alignment, reposition, and align as required
- Re-roll material back to starting location with release film intact
- Keep SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane and release film in contact with deck as you pull the release film.
- Pull release film and smooth out air bubbles
- Roll underlayment with weighted roller to ensure proper adhesion to substrate
- Install in an overlapping shingle fashion with the upper courses overlapping the lower courses to shed water down the roof.
- See Figure A.
- AVOID EXCESSIVE FOOT TRAFFIC on installed SlopeShield SA roof underlayment
- Avoid construction material storage on installed SlopeShield SA roof underlayment
- For Roofing Penetration Details and to ensure water and air tight details around penetrations (skylights, curbs etc.) - refer to VaproShield.com.
Roof Slope Application Chart (Figure A)
|Roof Slope||Lap Seams||Application Notes|
|1:12 up to 2:12||Minimum 12 inch lap seams
horizontal and vertical
Use only as slip sheet/air barrier under metal roofing applications. (Not to be used as a secondary barrier for liquid water holdout)
|>2:12 up to 4:12||Minimum 12 inch horizontal and 6 inch vertical lap seams||See Details (on VaproShield.com) for fastener penetrations.|
|4:12 and greater||Minimum 6 inch horizontal and vertical lap seams||
See Details (on VaproShield.com) for fastener penetrations.
Protection During Installation
- Cover membrane as soon as practical.
- TARPING is required during construction phase.
- Protect completed installations of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane from damage due to extreme weather conditions, physical abuse and other sub-trades.
- During SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane installation, prevent rainwater runoff draining from upper roofs to lower roofs, such as overhangs/eaves/valleys, onto SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane.
1. NOT INTENDED AS TEMPORARY ROOF SYSTEM
- SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane is not intended to be a temporary roof system during construction and may not remain watertight when exposed to extreme or severe weather conditions.
- Tarping of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane and roof deck is required.
- Cover SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane with permanent roof cladding as soon as practical.
2. UV EXPOSURE
- UV stable for up to 4 MONTHS of exposure.
- Persons who access any roofs, involved with roof construction, repair or maintenance shall use appropriate personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, hard hats, eye protection, and leather gloves and must be trained on safe practices relevant to their work.
- Where the use of ladders, scaffolds, platforms or temporary floors are utilized, safety lines and safety belts shall be used. Please access the OSHA Web site at www.osha.gov, contact your local OSHA office or visit the local federal bookstore to obtain the most current information on OSHA 29 CFR 1926.