Printer Friendly (PDF)
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane is a fully adhered version of the SlopeShield mechanically attached roof underlayment membrane. SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane includes a permeable adhesive applied to the backside of the material which is protected by a siliconized release paper that is removed during the installation process.
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane is designed to be used as a roof underlayment membrane providing a secondary rain barrier with liquid water holdout capabilities.
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered is not intended as a temporary roof system.
Roofing Systems and Roof Deck Substrates
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane can be installed under a variety of roofing systems including:
- Metal Roofing
- Clay Tile
- Cedar Shingles/Shakes
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane can be installed over a variety of roof deck substrates including:
- Steel or Aluminum (painted or mill finish)
- Sloped Concrete
- Most Rigid Insulation
SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered is UV Stable for up to 4 months of exposure.
- Primer is NOT required.
- Plan the installation and layout of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane PRIOR to application to minimize waste.
- Prior to membrane installation all roof penetrations must be installed and secured in-place.
- Recommend detailing around penetrations, skylights and curbs to provide an air and water tight installation.
- Always install perpendicular to roof slope.
- Install in an overlapping shingle format with the upper courses lapped over the lower courses to shed water down the roof (Reference Roof Slope Applications Chart).
- Recommend using a roller to enhance adhesion and positive contact with the substrate.
- Avoid foot traffic and construction material storage on installed SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane material.
- Prior to installation and removing release paper, unroll and allow material to adjust to the ambient temperature.
- Pre-cut SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane to desired manageable lengths, prior to installation.
Delivery, Packaging, and Storage
- Deliver the SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane and accessory products to the job site in original undamaged packaging.
- Store roll materials vertically on end in original packaging at temperatures between 40°F and 120°F (4ºC - 49ºC).
- Protect materials from direct sunlight and inclement weather until ready for use.
- Keep plastic roll cover to protect partial rolls during installation until ready for use.
- Do not install SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane when ambient temperatures are below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Verify that surfaces and conditions are ready to accept the work of this section. Notify [engineer] [architect] [consultant] in writing of any discrepancies.
- All surfaces must be clean and dry to the touch and in “as new condition,” sound, clean and free of oil, grease, dirt, or other contaminants. Roof deck must be continuous and uniform.
- Ensure all preparatory work, including installation of mechanical and electrical penetrations and fixtures are complete and secured in-place prior to applying SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane roof underlayment membrane.
- Mechanical fasteners used to secure sheathing boards, insulation or penetrate roof deck shall be set flush with surface and fastened into solid backing.
Roof Slope Applications
|Roof Slope||Lap Seams||Application Notes|
|1:12 up to 2:12||Minimum 12 inch lap seams||Use only as slip sheet under metal roof, will not act as a secondary barrier|
|>2:12 up to 4:12||Minimum 12 inch horizontal and vertical lap seams||Provide VaproTape or sealants around clips and other similar penetrations|
|4:12 and greater||Minimum 6 inch horizontal and vertical lap seams||Tape not required for clips|
Best Practices Installation of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered Membrane
Complete Self-Adhered VaproFlashing membrane installation around roof connections, up-turn details, stack and vent pipes and other junctures or penetrations prior to the installation of the field membrane (See Penetration Section).
- Pre-cut SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane to desired lengths.
- Install in overlapping shingle format (reference Roof Slope Application Chart for lapping guidelines).
- Snap chalk lines for alignment guidance.
- Allow membrane to hang down over to lowest point of fascia or as detailed.
- At bottom of roof, allow for excess material to accommodate adjacent surface tie-ins at fascia and soffit connections to wall air barrier (reference details per architect or roof consultant).
- Peel back, cut and remove approx. 6” of release paper at the beginning edge.
- Align and place exposed membrane into position using hand pressure to adhere membrane to substrate.
- Roll out material with release paper intact while checking for proper alignment.
- Reposition as required.
- Re-roll material back to starting location.
- Use hand pressure to press membrane onto substrate.
- Keep SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane and release paper in contact with deck as you pull the release paper.
- Smooth out air bubbles as you pull release paper.
- Once SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane has been laid out smooth, go over membrane with weighted roller to ensure proper adhesion to substrate.
- Limit repositioning and avoid raising the membrane off the deck.
- Seal penetrations and lap seams around pipe penetrations with VaproBond or Tremco Butyl sealant.
- Detail penetrations prior to the installation of the field membrane.
- Always ensure overlapping shingle format result.
Penetrations, Up-Turn Flashings and Curbs
- Install VaproFlashing Self-Adhered membrane and seal to roof connections, up-turn details, stack and vent pipes and other junctures or penetrations of the roof system.
- Install pre-manufactured penetration sleeves (by others) around mechanical and electrical penetrations as per Mechanical Electrical Division and manufacturer’s written instructions.
- Install double-sided VaproTape across the top and sides of pre-manufactured penetration sleeves, pre-measure and fit water-resistive vapor permeable roof underlayment membrane over and around sleeves and press into double-sided VaproTape against the sleeves as appropriate to form a weather tight connection.
- Install pre-manufactured curbs (by others) as per approved shop drawings for curb and roof system installations.
- Extend SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane over curbs.
- Verify that surfaces and conditions are ready to accept the work of this section. Roof deck must be continuous and uniform.
- Measure and pre-cut SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane into manageably sized sheets to suit the application conditions.
- Install full width sheets of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane centered in valley.
- Start at lowest point of roof.
- Install SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane in roof slope direction and in overlapping shingle format.
- Install second-ply of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane on each side of valley.
- Place membrane in the roof slope direction in overlapping shingle format.
- Roll installed applications of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane ensuring positive contact with substrate.
Protection During Installation
- Cover membrane as soon as practical.
- TARPING is recommending during construction phase.
- Protect completed installations of SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane from damage due to extreme weather conditions, physical abuse and other sub-trades.
- During SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane installation, prevent rainwater runoff draining from upper roofs to lower roofs, such as overhangs/eaves/valleys, onto SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane.
Repair and Cleaning
- Measure and pre-cut roof underlayment membrane to cover damaged area with minimum 12 inch overlap to the sides and bottom.
- Roll membrane to ensure positive contact.
- Remove and replace SlopeShield SA Self-Adhered membrane affected by chemical spills or surfactants.
1. UV EXPOSURE
2. NOT INTENDED AS TEMPORARY ROOF SYSTEM
3. LOCAL REGULATIONS